Week 3
This week has been long and rough! I used media in a new way--figuring out my life! On Tuesday, it randomly occurred to me that I should probably figure out what I want to do with my life post-graduation (in April). I had been planning on doing a Master's of Public Administration, maybe at BYU, maybe not. However, I recently learned that BYU and many other school offer a joint MPA and Law degree, which I thought sounded really cool and appealing.
Here's where the media comes in! I got online and started researching BYU's law school, since my husband won't be done with his master's until a year after I graduated, if I want to start grad school immediately, it has to be here. On BYU Law School's website, I found out that you have to apply by December to qualify for the best scholarships, and you HAVE to take the LSAT. If you don't care about those scholarships, you can apply with the GRE.
Well, I decided that I do care about these scholarships. Further online research showed that the latest I could take the LSAT to make the December application deadline was the beginning of November, 6 weeks a way. Further further online research informed me that the deadline to apply for that LSAT was the next day (Wednesday). If I wanted to apply by December, I had to decide immediately!
The media further assisted me as I texted a friend who's currently in law school and asked if he thought I would be able to study enough by November to make it worth it. He thought, knowing that I'm a good test taker, that I can (even though more online research recommended 3-6 months).
I decided to go for it! Since I could apply online, I was able to BARELY make the deadline. I didn't really think about it at the time, but ALL of that process relied heavily on electronic media. If I didn't have access to the internet and instant access to friends to read, learn, and ask for advice, it would have been very difficult to have pulled that off on such a short timeline. And now I'm going to use online media to study!
Hey thats awesome! If you could into BYU Law, that would be AMAZING!!! I loved how you creatively thought outside the box on how you could use the media for your advantage! I'm excited for you! I wanna know how the LSAT goes and if you make it in! Way cool dude!
ReplyDelete